Skip to content


1. What is the goal of the Dual Credit Program?

Dual Credit programs are ministry-approved programs that allow students, while they are still in secondary school, to take college or apprenticeship courses that count towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and earn credit toward a postsecondary diploma, or an apprenticeship certification.

2. How much will it cost?

There is no cost to the student. Course tuition, textbooks, materials and transportation is provided by the Ontario Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and universities through the School, College, Work, Initiative (SCWI).

3. Where are the courses taken?

Secondary Schools of Greater Toronto (SSOGT) and School Within a College (SWAC) Dual Credit courses are currently offered online.

4. Who is eligible for a dual credit course?

You must have earned more than 22 OSSD credits to be eligible and must apply before the start of the semester. You will have good learning potential, be willing to attempt college level studying, and maintain regular attendance.

5. Who decides which student will have dual credit opportunities?

The secondary school principal decides in consultation with the guidance counsellor, teachers, you and your parents/guardians.

6. How to apply for a dual credit course?

Speak with the guidance counsellor at the secondary school well before the semester for details. You must first be approved by your school board. Your secondary school contact will help you register for your Humber course.

7. When do the courses start and end?

See specific courses for details. Note: You will be required to attend an online Orientation session at Humber prior to the start of the semester. To get a head start on your Dual Credit course, Orientation is very important to be successful in your course.

8. How many dual credit courses can students take?

You are allowed to take up to four (4) dual credit courses.

9. What is a pass at Humber?

You must get 50% or more to pass at Humber.

10. How important is attendance?

Success depends on regular attendance. You are required to attend every class in the college course and attendance records will be shared with the secondary school. During this period you are also required to attend the regular classes of the secondary school courses in which you are enrolled.

11. What if I decide to withdraw from the Dual Credit course?

You must meet with the secondary school counsellor to discuss withdrawal. If a decision is made to withdraw, the secondary school counsellor informs the Humber Dual Credit Program Coordinator who will arrange formal withdrawal through the Registrar’s office.

Please note: There is an official withdrawal date for each course. Check the course dates for the official withdrawal date. If a student withdraws after the official date the mark received prior to withdrawal will be recorded on the student’s Humber transcript.

12. What if I decide to withdraw from secondary school?

You must be attending secondary school to be eligible for the Dual Credit opportunity. If you withdraw from secondary school you will also be required to withdraw from the Dual Credit program.

13. Who are the instructors?

College Professors will teach the Dual Credit courses. Secondary school teachers will teach the students in their regular secondary school courses.

14. How will the college credit be recorded?

A special code that ends in 4T will be provided by the Ministry of Education to record the credit on the student’s secondary school transcript. The credit and final mark will also be recorded on Humber Student Information Systems (SIS).

Students can request a college transcript with the course code, course name and final grade by visiting and clicking on How To Request an Official Humber Transcript.

15. How to succeed?

Help in study skills, computer system use, library use, essay writing, peer tutoring and counselling is available at Humber. You will have an increased amount of homework to achieve a passing mark of 50% in the college course while enrolled in your secondary school courses at the same time. If you need extra help speak to the Dual Credit Coordinator.

16. Are there services at Humber for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)?

For students who are arriving with an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and would like to develop academic accommodations appropriate to the post-secondary environment while attending Humber, please email or call 416.675.5090 to schedule an appointment. If calling, leave a detailed message with contact information. However, it is encouraged to email to receive a faster response from The Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre (SWAC) Front Desk Staff.

Students should identify that they are from the Dual Credit program and will need to share a copy of their IEP prior to or at the time of their appointment with Accessible Learning in order to support discussions with accommodation planning. 

An appointment can be made with any of the Accessible Learning Officers, or the Student Success & Engagement Liaison.

17.  Who can I contact at Humber for more information?

Dual Program

Taking a dual credit course at Humber means you have the opportunity to earn both a college course credit and a credit towards your secondary school diploma - a great way to learn more about Humber’s programs and college life. The objective is to increase educational opportunities for students.


Successful completion of the Humber Dual Credit course will lead to the granting of a college credit as well as a secondary school credit that will be recorded on the respective grade report/transcript, and will count as an optional credit towards the student’s OSSD.

Successful Completion

A student who achieves 50% or better will be considered to have successfully completed the requirements for the college course.

Registration Procedures

High school students work with their guidance counsellors to apply for a dual credit course and are approved by their school board.

College Credits

How do I use college credits?

Individual Education Plan (IEP)

What is IEP?